Monday 23 April 2012

Weds 18th April 2012 Lobuche Base Camp 4820m to Lobuche Summit 6000m

Up and ready for the ‘Le Mans’ start.

It’s quite unusual to climb the same mountain just 2 days after you have already climbed it, unless you are a guide.

Psychologically you know whets coming which can be a good and bad thing. You now the route but in this case you know where and when it’s going to hurt.

The boots feel slightly better on the first rocky part of the climb. I have reduced my pack weight by almost a half and feel the benefit of this. It is still hard.

I have loaded up with energy and snicker bars. I am going to try and eat at least 60g of carbohydrates an hour and am going to stop every 100m, after the first hour and a half (Camp One) to intake food and water... what we used to ‘March Discipline’. I have learnt that a man of my weight can burn up to 80/90 g of carbohydrates per hour on long term arduous exercise but the body can only digest about 50/60g per hour. It worth trying to minimise the ‘Carbo Gap’.

I really want to protect my health but do the best I can.

I reach Camp One without too much drama. On with crampons and strap on my ice axe which I left in one of the tents on the way down. I make a good change over but Jaco and Francis are already well ahead. It’s not long before Martin and Serge (our Russian Mountain Man....very experienced and very strong) come up and pass me as I am taking one of my 100m stops.

I am feeling ok but soon Wisey passes me about halfway up whilst I am munching my second Snickers and gulping water. It is now very hot as we are in the full glare of the morning sun.

The really steep final third is just as hard, or even harder, than two days ago. However I feel my technique is much improved and myself, Henry, Carl (both WWTW) and I climb the last section together. We round the corner to the last section to the summit. Whilst it has taken about 5 hours I get to the top with energy. I haven’t been quick, the times ranged between 3 and a half and five hours, but I have looked after myself. Hopefully I can eventually get rid of this infection.

I have the luxury of a single tent as Dan, my tent mate, was advised there was little point in coming up for a second time as he is the Media Man for WWTW and whilst wounded himself, he is not on the WWTW Everest Summit Team.

I put the two ground mats on top of each other and similarly the two sleeping bags. I have not bought a ‘modern’ sleeping mat to save weight as I always remember in the Arctic, with the Marines, finding the issued mats (which the Sherpas supply in the mountain tents) sufficient. Time will tell if this proves a good or bad call!

We have 14 tents perched on the mountain top. It is an extraordinary experience. ‘Outrageous’ exclaimed Henry, the WWTW mentor (almost the same age as me, ex Army Officer... now a banker ....but apart from that he is quite ok).

I rest and cough for the rest of the day. Interspersed with melting snow, cooking myself brews and boil in the bag foods.

Tonight was Chicken Casserole and Treacle Pudding in Syrup.

So far no real effects from altitude, just a slight pressure in my temples, not a headache so I don’t take anything for it and after a few hours it subsides.

This is the highest I have ever been but I sleep reasonable well. Waking up every 2 or 3 hours but going back to sleep almost immediately.   

No comments:

Post a Comment