Saturday 14 April 2012

Sun 8th April 2012  Lobuche Base Camp 4820m

Today is a rest day. A lot of people are suffering from headaches, which is normal and our Expedition doctor, Monica, is busy visiting all the mess tents (where we eat) at breakfast and supper checking on everyone’s health. A few of the WWTW guys are suffering from tummy problems which they picked up in the Hyatt Hotel in Kathmandu. We try to stay upwind of them!

I spend the day updating my blog, reading, then I discover that if I wish to tog up (it’s quite cold and misty) and climb up 400ft I might get some mobile phone reception.

So whilst it’s sunny and bright I am inside the tent and most of the guys are
outside sitting in the sun, watching Lobuche being climbed by a bunch of climbers. In fact they get so absorbed that Pierre, of all people, who normally completely covers his face on the trail, ends up getting a healthy touch of sunburn!

When I have finished my work inside the tent of course the sun has gone and the clouds have rolled in, however I haven’t spoken to Olivia and the children for a few days and it is Easter Sunday so up I go. As we are so high what appears as mist are actually clouds so as I climb the ridge above the camp site, in between clouds, I am treated to a view of the valley up which we will be travelling up tomorrow.

These are massive glacial valleys with huge piles of moraine which have been dragged and pushed down over the centuries by the glaciers.

The whole scene is reminiscent of an outsize motorway project!

I make my calls and hasten back down the ridge. As I do a female trekker is making her way to the outside ladies latrine. It has been strategically placed and a wall built so as to afford complete privacy from the camp area. Of course it affords no privacy from where I am descending from as I traverse down the ridge. Surely she has seen me.... Surely she has seen me and will delay her vital actions about 30s to allow me to pass. OMG she hasn’t seen me as buckles are released and a firm downward shift of clothing is commenced. In order to preserve her dignity I execute a sharp 90 degree turn to traverse in the opposite direction, not an easy manoeuvre on what is a very steep slippery slope, but embarrassment is avoided and by the time I reach the valley floor there is no sign of the woman. We are both clearly ‘relieved’!

Off to Everest Base Camp tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment