Monday 23 April 2012

Fri 20th April 2012 Lobuche Summit 6000m to Lobuche Base Camp 4820m to Everest Base Camp 5300m

Woken up at 5am by Alexis’s booming voice in the next tent saying ‘Good alarm clock that’... without thinking, having being risen out of quite a deep sleep I retort ‘...And so is your bloody voice!’

I spent the rest of the morning apologising profusely to Alexis, who is one of the kindest guys on the trip. He eventually replied ‘...And I thought I was speaking so softly’.

We are told to be off by 7am but some of the team have dispensed with breakfast and are off by 6am.

I go over the ‘edge’ at 6.35am. This time I really want to focus on my technique and being on my own I make much, much better, quicker and easier progress than I did last time.

I make Camp 1 in just over an hour just as the other team are coming up to do their two nights.

The feeling of sympathy for them having to go up there and contentment that I don’t have to, is difficult to conceal.

Crampons off and in the rucksack then down the rock face.

Down in 2 hours, last time it was 3 hours so an improvement. The fastest have taken 1 and a half.

Breakfast, then its goodbye to Lobuche Base Camp as I set off for Everest Base Camp.  Relief...... We have all had our fill of the restricted menu and have seen quite enough of this particular mountain, despite the training and acclimatisation being of excellent value.


I am on my own again but enjoying the walk. It’s sunny but with a gentle cooling breeze at my back, perfect trekking conditions.

I make pretty good time, arriving at EBC (Everest Base Camp) in just over 2hrs 45mins, the same time I took on the way up.

Just in time for lunch then afterwards in the White Pod, Harry (the ex RM and SAS) guide cracks open a beer. After 20 mins of ‘chocolate’ discipline, it melts, and myself and most of the WWTW team join in a massive 4 can session ....... 2 pints of weak lager each and the world is fuzzy, communicative, happy place!

The shower can wait until tomorrow!

Another awesome solid sleep. It’s good to be back!


5 comments:

  1. Your Bro has just alerted me to your endevours and all the very best. great effort on the Exped and the blog writing! Stay safe. Cheers Smudger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,
    Some great posts over the last few days. Having been there myself i can really picture every detail of your climbs and are enjoying reliving it all over again. Looking forward to hearing what you think of the ice fall! Good luck, keep strong. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mark,
    Wishing your colleagues and you stay healthy and strong. Remember Lene Gamalgaard's book if you have it. You are only missing the worst drought ever - rivers in spate, FCC cancelling everything etc. Will let you know how we get on on river next tuesday. Nice bit on MotelOne in PW. Mkt v quiet, no stock. Can you get podcasts? Try A History of the World, 100 episodes, am on 28 and they're great. ATBOB Huge

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark,

    Great read!! I have only just got hold of the blog address. After watching Chels get into the Champions League final last night and getting in after wild celebrations and far too much amber nectar. I thought I would have to take a peak (pun intended) and I couldn't put the lap-top down...great read!! I felt I was there with you and you know we all are in spirit. Keep up the good work fella and the writing ofcourse))) Cannot wait for the next instalment and catching up with you on your return.

    Aloha, Scott

    ReplyDelete